Thursday, May 17, 2012

Blog entry #9

        As I previously stated, I am going to examine James quest in the Giant Peach with Joseph Campell's mono myth approach. In addition I will also take a look at some basic archetypes which I consider important to look at with the approach of Pearson's basic archetype system and little bit of Jungian and Freudian symbolism.

        Examining Carol Pearson's heroic archetypes I would say that James, the principal character in Roald Dahl's novel James and the Giant Peach  has the archetype of an orphan. James is clearly an orphan because in the novel his parents died eaten by a rhino that escaped from the zoo. More else, I also believe he is also a mixed type of orphan with a wanderer archetype`, as he is isolated of society by his wicked pair of aunts(anima-witches), who beat him and threat him really bad and as a result  ,as  a form to escape from his loneliness and pain he loves to wander around  the house in the hill, always looking to find something new and exiting until one day a mysterius old man gives James magical talismans that will forever change James Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment